Image Map

Monday, February 27, 2012

It was a GREAT month for Black History!

I'm So proud of my school! There have been so many amazing things that teachers have been doing to celebrate Black History Month. I'll include some photos below but we've even started a school wide trivia game. Our PRINCIPAL has been writing trivia questions that sound like this:

There is a medical emergency! We have a transplant that needs to be delievered to a hospital across town. Who would be the best person for the job?
a) Harriet Tubman     b) Jesse Owens   
c) Martin Luther King, Jr.   d) Marian Anderson



I love this school wide challenge because the kids are literally debating who would be the better choice to solve the riddle because in all honesty, there could be more than one legitamite person who would be best for the job.  In all honesty, I initially said Harriet Tubman because of her ability to travel long distances...but then Jesse Owens was a really fast star! I ran this by a friend and they hilariously mentioned that Dr. King could get on the phone and have a network of people lined up to get that transplant to the hospital! Ha! This caused them to really do some research and know who these people were in order to defend their choice.

Here are some photos I snapped around our school to show how different classrooms were celebrating Black History Month!




If you are still looking for a PRIMARY FRIENDLY Black History Unit, please check this out below...I included two more profiles (Mae Jemison and George Washington Carver) so if you've already purchased, please redownload!



Happy Celebrating!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I wish my school did something school wide. It is really up to teachers and most choose to do nothing at all.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute blog! I just found you tonight and I am utterly enjoying the posts!
    I'm a follower!

    Miss S
    jaanashingledecker24@gmail.com
    Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the school wide trivia game. At the end of each year, I ask my students to list their 3 favorite units and my Black History month unit is always listed as one of the top 3. We study contributions by famous African Americans and there is a lot of hands-on stuff including food. What could be better?!!!

    I just dropped in to let you know I am having my first linky party and you are invited! When you think about your first year of teaching or when you switched grade levels, what do you wish you would have known before you began? Hop over to my blog and share your teaching tips!

    Michelle
    Teach123

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing ideas for celebrating African American accomplishments and those of people of color in general. I'm so happy there is a Black History Month, but want there to be more of a culture of African American/Latino/Asian-American/ALL People of color celebrations ALL YEAR. Do you have any recommendations for African American authors/inventors/etc for me to include in my room year-round so that African American history is not limited to just one month? Thanks!! :)
    -Kiki

    ReplyDelete