Image Map

Monday, November 30, 2015

Black History Revamp

Greetings, friends!

I've been working on updating and improving some of my products and I'm particularly excited about this one! I made a Black History unit for primary students a few years ago that looked like this:
And while I loved it, it needed a serious overhaul!  The old unit celebrated amazing African Americans in the areas of the arts, scientists, and inventors. I decided to separate those and give them each their own unit. Below you'll see the unit on the inventors. I wanted to showcase some lesser-known inventors because we often don't go past George Washington Carver. I thought it'd be fun to learn about some other ones...and a few are still alive today! 

Here is a sneak peak! 




Inside, there is a letter to the teacher that might teach Black History during the month of February. Just a note from  me to you...teacher to teacher and virtual friend. Not to make you feel any sort of way...but just to let you in on my experience. I wanted to include it here.  It reads: 

Blessings to you! 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! The history of diverse groups of people seem to be continuously celebrated through the lens of oppression versus progress. This year I started with the Civil Rights movement and have taken students through a (literary) journey to Sudan, Iraq, and soon Mexico to show where groups of people evolved from and what they means for us her in the USA. Additionally, we talk frequently "beyong MLK," which means celebrating his legacy, but also the accomplishments of others who stood on his shoulders. I found in the Teaching Mosaic FB group, and I am so glad you posted this!

    Tanesha

    ReplyDelete