Image Map

Monday, July 8, 2013

school year goals

i've had quite the summer where professional development is concerned. i sit here on a lunch break during a week long conference i am attending regarding esl strategies and thought i might pop in for a quick post. i've been learning some staggering facts about student learning that make me wonder about my own instruction. in an effort to not forget them, i made myself a little goal sheet reminder that i'll frame on my desk:


the only other goal that i will probably add (and i didn't because "top 5" sounds awesome and "top 6" sounds stupid) is parental involvement. i'm usually so scared of parents being in my classroom because i don't know what to do with them. not this year. this year, i'm determined to get as many parents in as i can! i realized this when i had a co-teacher for the first 6 weeks of the school year when i was pregnant. i had someone in my room 24/7 and i thought i'd hate it but i lovvvvved it.
i mean it takes a village, right?
my eyes popped open when looking at the calendar and realizing that i go back to work in a few weeks. weeks.  glad to be getting busy on some foundational things now.
so other than that, i've been playing with my daughter, enjoying the summers, and catching up on pretty little liars on netfilx. (i know, shame! but seriously who is a?)

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE your top 5. I absolutely agree with facilitating learning rather than studying something because it's cute. I am always struggling with this after seeing adorable photos that bloggers post. As for number 6, that was my biggest goal last year and it worked out well. I had a calendar sign up posted and limited it to an hour or hour and a half, two days a week (whichever days worked best for us). I think that the parents were super happy to be involved, and the kids were happy to have them. I was happy to have someone do the "cutesy" projects while I facilitated real learning.

    Good luck!
    Mary
    Adventures in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo I love your goals! Especially the one about real, authentic, organic learning! That's one of the goals I've been thinking about too! Thanks for the reminder and inspiration!
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and again we need to reevaluate what we do as teachers. Your goals are a great reminder to all of us about the important role we play in the lives of our students.
    Thanks for the inspiration!!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your entire list but especially number 3. So many times I hear people say, "Of its just like babysitting isn't it?", teaching is definitely not babysitting! Teachers are focused on learning and I love that you identified that.

    I am actually hosting a giveaway on my blog right now to celebrate 300 Followers, I would love for you to head over and check it out :)

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs. Tabb!I just found your blog, I’m your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I am your newest follower :) Sounds like you are learning great stuff at your PD days! I just recently took a summer masters literacy and writing class and all of these things were the top priority mentioned! Good luck implementing these things in your room - I will be working on them as well!

    ReplyDelete